Songwriters: Wynonna Judd, Cactus Moser
On hearing a new track from Wynonna, one might wonder if it will be closer to the classic "No One Else On Earth" version of Wynonna, or the underwhelming "I Will Stand By You" version. As it turns out, her new single is definitely closer to the former. Much closer.
"Love It Out Loud" was written as a tribute to Wynonna's mother and musical cohort Naomi Judd. But instead of laying on the sap, "Love It Out Loud" turns out to be a rocking throwback to Wynonna's "No One Else On Earth" glory days. Fiddles and electric guitars sit side by side in a driving country-rock arrangement, yet Wynonna's Ferrari of a voice continually acts as the main instrument. Her voice shows some signs of wear, but that does not detract from our listening enjoyment in the least. She throws herself into the performance head on with all the gritty soulfulness that has characterized her best work. Her voice rises from a deep growl to an aggressive roar while exuding a punctuated swagger in a consistently engaging performance.
Besides the obvious fact that "Love It Out Loud" is such an unabashedly cool record, it has a heart and a message at the core of all that toe-tapping fun, not to mention a great title hook. "Love isn't love, really love, until you love it out loud," Wynonna sings with fierce conviction. Isn't that true? 'Love isn't love until you love it out loud' is great advice that could be applied in just about any relationship scenario, whether it be a parent-child relationship or a romantic relationship. The chorus is surrounded by a variety of quirky rapid-fire rhymes that don't always have a close tangible connection with the title hook, but that still contribute to the consistently interesting lyrical content.
WYNONNA'S SCORE: 9
(Scores are given on a scale of 1 to 10)
The 1-to-10 Archive
- Kellie Pickler, "Tough"
- Glen Templeton, "I Could Be the One"
- Kristin Chenoweth, "I Want Somebody (Bitch About)"
- Album Review: The Essential Rosanne Cash
- Scotty McCreery, "I Love You This Big"
- Sara Evans, "My Heart Can't Tell You No"
- Kenny Chesney, "You and Tequila" (featuring Grace ...
- Rachel Holder, "Chocolate"
- Jerrod Niemann, "One More Drinkin' Song"
- Terri Clark, "Northern Girl"
- Craig Campbell, "Fish"
- Album Review: Victoria Banks - Never Be the Same
- Wynonna, "Love It Out Loud"
- Jake Owen, "Barefoot Blue Jean Night"
- Music Video Round-Up - May 2011, Part 2
- Music Video Round-Up - May 2011, Part 1
- Lady Antebellum, "Just a Kiss"
- Goodbye to the 9513 - The Web's Premiere Country M...
- ▼ May (18)