Songwriters: Chuck Howard, Bob Regan, Kristy Osmunson
I'm faced with a bit of a challenge here. How can I explain in coherent terms why I enjoy Rachel Holder's debut single "Chocolate"? It's about a girl leaving a guy for chocolate. He cheats on her, so she dumps him, and fills the void of his departure with... you guessed it... chocolate.
Sound hokey? The concept may sound like something that can be easily dismissed, but let's imagine for a moment. If an artist were intent on singing a song about chocolate, what characteristics could make it enjoyable instead of annoying? A catchy melody? "Chocolate" has that. A performance packed with personality? "Chocolate" has that. Humorous lyrics? A fun, upbeat arrangement? "Chocolate" has that, along with all the makings of an oddly charming little ditty.
Of course, you can only enjoy "Chocolate" if you accept the fact that it's pure novelty - ear candy, if you'll excuse the pun. It's not aiming for great lyrical depth - It's aiming to put a smile on your face, and maybe even get you to sing along. Call it a guilty pleasure if you must, but this "Chocolate" has just the right confection of cheeky humor, subtle cleverness, and infectious personality to make it work. Congratulations, Rachel - You made me like a song about leaving a guy for chocolate.
RACHEL'S SCORE: 7
(Scores are given on a scale of 1 to 10)
The 1-to-10 Archive
- Kellie Pickler, "Tough"
- Glen Templeton, "I Could Be the One"
- Kristin Chenoweth, "I Want Somebody (Bitch About)"...
- Album Review: The Essential Rosanne Cash
- Scotty McCreery, "I Love You This Big"
- Sara Evans, "My Heart Can't Tell You No"
- Kenny Chesney, "You and Tequila" (featuring Grace ...
- Rachel Holder, "Chocolate"
- Jerrod Niemann, "One More Drinkin' Song"
- Terri Clark, "Northern Girl"
- Craig Campbell, "Fish"
- Album Review: Victoria Banks - Never Be the Same
- Wynonna, "Love It Out Loud"
- Jake Owen, "Barefoot Blue Jean Night"
- Music Video Round-Up - May 2011, Part 2
- Music Video Round-Up - May 2011, Part 1
- Lady Antebellum, "Just a Kiss"
- Goodbye to the 9513 - The Web's Premiere Country M...
- ▼ May (18)