Gloomy lyrics meet a catchy singalong melody on "Somewhere Else," the third single from Toby Keith's current album Bullets In the Gun. It's a solid, if not groundbreaking potrayal of romantic disappointment in which the character seeks solace at his favorite bar. The narrator broods over all the little disappointments in his life, from the loss of his woman to the Cubs getting beat on Sports Center. He emphasizes the aimlessness of his existence in the hook "If you don't know where you going/ You might end up somewhere else."
The lyrics handle the theme of heartbreak competently, but the performance is the single's most notable characteristic, with Toby rattling off the verses in a fast-talking delivery that makes the song stick in your head.Toby has many times proven himself to be a talented vocalist, and his strong performance on this track does not disappoint. The production includes an interesting mix-up of acoustic and electronic instrumentation, which makes for a fun and engaging listen.
Enjoyable as it is, "Somewhere Else" might not be particularly well-remembered after finishing its chart run. We might forget about for a while, and then get back into it after some time away from it. In summary, "Somewhere Else" is not what you'd call a career record, but it's solid enough to build on the legacy that Toby Keith has already established.
TOBY'S SCORE: 7
(Scores are given on a scale of 1 to 10)
The 1-to-10 Archive
- Jason Michael Carroll, "Numbers"
- Album Review: Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers ...
- Billy Currington, "Love Done Gone"
- Trace Adkins, "Just Fishin'"
- Thompson Square, "I Got You"
- Album Review: Alison Krauss & Union Station - Pap...
- Emmylou Harris, "The Road"
- Sugarland, "Tonight"
- Luke Bryan - "Country Girl (Shake It for Me)"
- Brantley Gilbert, "Country Must Be Country Wide"
- Bradley Gaskin, "Mr. Bartender"
- Reba McEntire, "When Love Gets a Hold of You"
- Blake Shelton, "Honey Bee"
- Toby Keith, "Somewhere Else"
- Sunny Sweeney, "Staying's Worse Than Leaving"
- Music Video Round-Up - April 2011
- Jason Aldean, "Dirt Road Anthem"
- Gloriana, "Wanna Take You Home"
- ▼ April (18)