Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sugarland, "Stuck Like Glue"

It's been almost a whole year since we've last heard from Sugarland, but they're back with a bang.  The first single from their upcoming album The Incredible Machine, is a sweet and sugary slice of pop-country that lives up to its title in full.  One listen to "Stuck Like Glue," and it will be stuck in your head like glue.  It's been playing in my head on endless loop ever since I first heard it yesterday.

The lyrics are a simple declaration of undying passion set against pleasantly sparse acoustic-based production.  Add some accordion, mandolin, hand-clapping, and finger-snapping, and we have a recipe for irresistible catchiness.  Lead singer Jennifer Nettles sells the Georgia twang as she delivers infectious lines such as "Stuck on you, wuh-oh-wuh-oh, stuck like glue/ You and me, baby, we're stuck like glue."

When she reaches the bridge of the song, Jennifer goes a little nuts and shifts into reggae rap mode.  I'm sure that will scare away a few traditionalists.  I initially had to ask myself, "Do I like this or do I hate this?"  But, seriously, have we ever heard reggae rap in a country song before?  Not even Kenny Chesney has done it.  It adds a great deal of character to the song, and you can tell that Jennifer is having a blast with it.  My decision has been made:  I like it.

Listen to "Stuck Like Glue" and hear a duo who is not afraid to push genre boundaries, break the rules of country radio, and show limitless creative expression.  That's worth some big points on the 1-to-10.

SUGARLAND'S SCORE:  9
(Scores are given on a scale of 1 to 10)

HEAR IT

POLL RESULTS

I conducted a survey of my readers to find out what the popular opinion was on having a reggae breakdown in a country song, and 38 readers responded to the poll.

What do you think of the reggae rap in Sugarland's "Stuck Like Glue"?
65% - Stupid and annoying
34% - Cool and catchy

Maybe country music just isn't ready for this yet.  Thanks to everyone who participated!