It's hard to take seriously an artist whose main country influences are Racal Flatts, Keith Urban, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift. The debut country single of American Idol grad Danny Gokey was listenable, but entirely forgettable. Fortunately, the follow-up single is a bit of an improvement.
A good singer is still a good singer, regardless of what genre he chooses. Danny Gokey is definitely a talented vocalist. He displays an ability to connect with the audience on an emotional basis. The lyrics of "I Will Not Say Goodbye" are a vivid description of the onslaught of emotions that one experiences after having lost a loved one in death. The song is given added meaning by the fact that Danny lost his wife Sophia back in 2008. Thus, he's singing about feelings that he can relate to.
The song's production complements Danny's vocals without overwhelming them. However, the single does sound a little bit like a carbon copy of Rascal Flatts, except that the vocals less nasal, and the overall product is not nearly as annoying.
Country music doesn't quite seem like a natural fit for Danny, who seems better suited to Christian and gospel music. But he's singing deeply emotional songs that he as well as others can relate to, and that's what country music is all about.
DANNY'S SCORE: 8
(Scores are given on a scale of 1 to 10)
SEE THE OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNyk6ema5AM
The 1-to-10 Archive
- ► 2011 (124)
- Josh Gracin, "Cover Girl"
- Sugarland, "Stuck Like Glue"
- Chris Young, "Voices"
- Joe Nichols, "The Shape I'm In"
- Train, "Hey, Soul Sister"
- Jessie James, "Boys In the Summer"
- Kenny Chesney, "The Boys of Fall"
- Darius Rucker, "Come Back Song"/ Thompson Square, ...
- Reba McEntire, "Turn On the Radio"
- Stealing Angels, "He Better Be Dead"
- Miranda Lambert, "Only Prettier"
- George Strait, "The Breath You Take"
- John Rich, "Country Done Come to Town"
- Danny Gokey, "I Will Not Say Goodbye"
- ▼ July (14)